Saturday, November 15, 2008

Blog-e, Blog-e, Blog-e Can't You See

An Ode To Weekend Projects
I am pretty excited for when Brittany and I own our own house and I can improve something we actually own. With that said I have been busy with little weekend projects. A few of them started the weekend my wife went to visit the Cheesiest State in the Union (Wisconsin, just in case you are slow on the uptake).


First off the TV

I can't use the wall mount as a weekend project. It was actually a gift for Father's Day even when we didn't know I was going to be a father. Mounting the TV on the wall did make me think of another thing...
I have been wanting to mount the center channel of the surround sound along with the TV for better sound, and just for fun. It does sound better and Brittany was kind enough to say that it "Looks good honey." When she saw it.

I mounted it by getting some channeled aluminum tubing and doing some old school geometry. I'd be lying if I remembered how to calculate the height of an equilateral triangle without some Googling. Simple enough once I did though. I just cut the right lengths, flattened out one end (to mount to the speaker, then a quick coat of black spray paint and you see the results. I think it looks good and sounds good too. Now when we swivel the TV to watch while doing dishes or while I'm on the patio tinkering the sound is directed toward the viewer.


The Shelf

This was easy. However it was moved from it's previous location because it fell off the wall. It had been mounted above the TV. One night we were watching a show, when all of sudden it came tumbling down. It had a few pictures and a vase with flowers and water on it. To be honest I hadn't mounted it into studs, but had used 5, countem 1,2,3,4,5 wall anchors rated at 50lbs each. Even with that it managed to fall, and freak us both out. When i remounted it I put it into two studs and used 3 wall anchors just for good measure. It will be just fine, right above our heads as we sleep ; ]

Slade Bike Shop


This is a roof rack/basket my great parents gave me for Christmas a few years back. I have been wanting to make it useful as a bike rack ever since I first got it, but just haven't tried. The wheel channels are courtesy of Lee Taylor. The front of the rack is a piece of 1in x 1/4 in aluminum painted black. I bolted the fork clamps to it, and the aluminum to the rack in 5 places to add rigidity. The only thing left to do is mount it on a vehicle, and put on a wind faring. I have to give credit to McKade Greer for helping me with the original bike rack. It just wasn't quite what I wanted so I perfected it.

A Bike for the Rack


I went riding a few months ago (maybe you remember the post) and my hoopti kinda pooped out on me. There was a broken spoke/flat tire/ghost shifting (changing gears without me making it)
All of that is now rectified, or so I think for now. I got the spoke replaced and tuned it up. I am glad becuase Jaron and I just planned a ride, and Joe and I have been talking about riding for about a year. Brittany came out while I was taking the pictures of the bike on the rack, and laughed. I am pretty sure she knows that I am obsessed about things until I figure them out. The even better news is she seems to like me just the way I am. I am a pretty blessed man.

Which leads me to my last, and most favorite every "weekend project"


Spending Quality Time With Brittany

She is such a wonderful woman. I can't imagine being sick and tired while growing our son, and still doing all she does. No matter what she is going through she is still the most upbeat, supportive wife I could ever ask for.
A few weeks ago I had a bad day at work. Like usual I called her on my way home, and her response to my whining was, "Come home and forget about work. I'll have dinner ready." She simply never ceases to amaze me. Pregnant, tired, and having worked all day herself, she was so quick to think about taking care of me. I can't to anything but take a step back, say a thanks, and work harder to be the husband a wife like her deserves.






5 comments:

Jake and Lynn said...

what a fun post. All your projects look like they turned out well..although I'm a bit scared for your heads with the shelf mounted right above you now, but if you say it's safe i believe you:)
You said such cute things about Brittany. Lucky are you to have such a wonderful wife and soon to be mother of your son.
Can't wait to see you at Thanksgiving. I'm seriously bursting with excitement!!!! It's gonna be a blast.
Give Thanks 2008, here we come!!!

TheSlades said...

CLynn-E, I am pretty excited for Thanksgiving too. I hope you got my voice message.

Travis and Marie said...

I hope that shelf doesn't fall on you while you are sleeping....good job on your to do list....you are excellent....Remember when we used to stick race in the gutter in our swimming suites in the rain? Ah...or the drunk man under the bush tree while we took the trash out at the ERA building? what good times. Cute post. Excited to see you!

brett and carly said...

Good job on all the projects... and happy birthday to you :)

The Gibbens said...

You are so productive! Way to go! I love that you're doing geometry... it turned out really good- I'll be the third sis to pray that your shelf doesn't land on your dome while you slumber! Your wifes baby bump is pretty cute- good looking boy... well, a good looking bump! Your wife is all a-glow! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and that the trip wasn't too wretched... love you!